Friday, December 14, 2007

The Purpose of the Church, Christmas and Creation

Today I turned in a pretty crappy paper. It was actually really interesting reading for it, but I just didn't devote enough time to it. "Technology, the Bible and the Church." That was the title, so it was about how we in the church should think about technology. I did rock a test this morning though which which made up for not feeling all that great about turning in my paper. I should've probably spent the afternoon studying for my last final of the semester that I will take Monday morning. It's for "E & E," or, Ecclesiology and Eschatology. I've had a really bad attitude about this class. Honestly, it's the only class ever in which I've spent the better part of the hour working on other assignments or working on bibliographies for other classes. Really, get this, we had three quizes on different books that we read and two "paparettes" along with a couple tests. I'm pretty sure that I spent, oh, five hours on the three books for the quizes and a total of one and a half hours on the two papers combined. I got perfect scores on all of them. That's pathetic! Anyway, I'm going to spend the day tomorrow studying for that final. I really am. I just don't want to do it right now.

It's supposed to snow tonight. That should nice.

This evening I went to an advent vespers service and then came home and went through Sufjan Stevens Christmas songbook with one of my new roommates, Neil. I told him that a few of Sufjan's original Christmas songs are going to be sung by my kids and he told me I need a family. I agreed. Oh yeah, I moved. I'm stoked about it. I live just a mile from church and the park and the art museum and a whole lot closer to the Walkers and the Bechtels and other folks. Nate and I have commuted together a few times this week which has been nice. I'm heading over to their house Sunday for a Christmas feast. I love their feasts! Wine and singing and dinner and wine. Good times.

Ok, so I read this from Mere Christinity this evening and really thought that it was a good reminder, so I thought that I would share it:

"It is easy to think that the church has a lot of different objects - education, building, missions, holding services. Just as it is easy to think the State has a lot of different objects - military, political, economic, and what not. But in a way things are much simpler than that. The State exists simply to promote and to protect the ordinary happiness of human beings in this life. A husband and wife chatting over a fire, a couple of friends having a game of darts in a pub, a man reading a book in hi own room or digging in his own garden (or getting together for Christmas feasts) - that is what the State is there for...
"In the same way the Church exists for nothing else but to draw men into Christ, to make them little Christs. If they are not doing that, all the cathedrals, clergy, missions, sermons, even the Bible itself, are simply a waste of time. God became man for no other purpose. It is even doubtful, you know, whether the whole universe was created for any other purpose."

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Well, I got to admit... I'm not a big fan of Sufjan Stevens, but my sister, Diane, totally loves the guy. She just recently had his rendition of "Lo, How a Rose Er Blooming" on her blog. You two should hook up ;o) (sorry, there goes my feeble match making attempts again!). Hope you're doing well, and have a wonderful Christmas, Peter!!!

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.

Anonymous said...

[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
No More Crawling Downloads Using NZB Files You Can Hastily Find Movies, Console Games, MP3s, Software and Download Them @ Flying Speeds

[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]Newsgroup[/B][/URL]

Anonymous said...

Brim over I to but I about the post should prepare more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

You could easily be making money online in the hush-hush world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat backlinks[/URL], You are far from alone if you don't know what blackhat is. Blackhat marketing uses alternative or not-so-known ways to build an income online.

Anonymous said...

Understandably your article helped me altogether much in my college assignment. Hats incorrect to you post, wish look progressive for more interdependent articles promptly as its united of my choice question to read.