Friday, March 2, 2007

Mount Rainier National Park Turns 108 Years Old


One of the most regular sights of my life (when it hasn't been cloudy) is Mount Rainier. Today is the 108th aniversary of the National Park and so I thought that I would share a few photos. Of course photos don't do it justice - though pretty close, so anyone who hasn't seen it will have to go to the beautiful state of Washington and check it out. While your there run over to Vashon Island, you'll be glad you did.



235,625 acres



1,173,897 visitors a year





14,410-feet high



25 glaciers




Here are two of the main dudes who helped establish the conservation of our national parks, President Teddy Rosevelt and John Muir. By the way this is at Yosemite, not Mount Rainier. A shame, I know.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Hey, Peter!

I like your blog title. I miss the good old days when Henry V was a good king!

I was just looking into visiting Mt. Rainier Nation'l Past last week, and many sections of the park are actually closed right now because of extensive flood damage from November. Pretty sad... I wanted to take my sister Rach and her boyfriend there when they came to visit for spring break, but maybe another time. So, don't get everyone excited about visiting until they reopen the park!!!

Hope you're doing well... I sat next to your parents during dinner tonight at the Faith Pres. couples' retreat. Fun times ;o)

~SARAH FLANAGAN!~

Anonymous said...

How I long for the good ol' NW. My hearts in the highlands, my heart is not here, my hearts at Boundary Bay, drinking a beer.

Love,
Trev

Anonymous said...

Well written article.